Tuesday 24 March 2015

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?



Final song choice from the indie/alternative genre:

CAMERA SHOTS- Existing products/my product evidence I am in fact following conventions throughout my music video.


I have found some shots in my music video, that are similar to the shots featured in existing 'abstract' music videos that also feature some miming scenes from the actors


GRIMES-VANESSA
This is a medium close up shot, of both the main female actresses in the music video (main female artists) who are singing the songs. In both shots they are able to show emotion to the audience, which is a convention of doing a medium close up shot. In both screenshots you can see that they're not on plain white backgrounds and theres other things going on, but both still are the main focus of attention. It's so the shot doesn't get too boring but you still see the artist in the music video.

 GEORGE EZRA - LISTEN TO A MAN
This is another music video were the artist is singing in a medium close up shot, in a similar way to George Ezra in his music video, this is showing it is a conventional camera shot, were the singer is looking at the audience. I did decide to include a performance element in my video which follows convention, because I do think it is an important part for the fans to be able to see the artist they like singing the song.

RAE MORRIS - COLD (FT FRYARS)
Here is an example of a music video about a couple, which is an abstract style. Again the main male singer is singing to the audience in a medium close up shot, you can just see his shoulders and he is the centre of the screen. He is dressed quite plain, as is Jack. The singers themselves are not making a huge statement, so are following the conventions of dressing to suit the video/song.


This music video is similar to mine, because it is abstract and features a couple to are both miming to the camera in the video, along side other things that are going on in the video that are not that related to them miming, but the element of performance has been included.

GRIMES-VANESSA
Here is another shot similar to my own, taken from a real media product. It shows I have fitted in with the style that is seen in the indie/alternative genre music videos. I found a few examples were dancing was quite important to the video and quite modern in style - so I wanted to include this in my video. This style of dancing is just the artist going for it, for my music video I did break from the convention by not having it in black and white - I did in fact include some effects on the clip to represent the feeling that colour is showing emotions throughout my whole video!

This music video my OPALE is something I saw and was really taken back by the way the music video used different lighting effects without editing them on after- so my music video is developing the genre by using projection which is a technique that is actually becoming noticeable in the pop genre! Taylor swift has a new music video called 'Style' in which projection is used to show the couples feelings 

Overall in my music video I think I have followed conventions appropriate for my genre -
  • Shot length (short and snappy, when it comes to editing to the pace)
  • costume (this is not too busy, but in fitting with the feel of the video and also is the style which I planned originally in the planning and research stages of my advanced portfolio)
  • use of high angle + over the shoulder shots - these are what I have seen in other existing products which proves that they are a conventional feature. When my couple are performing against the wall.

Challenge conventions by 
Use a lot of abstract shots
not a lot of acting / lip syncing (although it does feature)

MAGAZINE ADVERT- what conventions have I followed/challenged

The conventions are followed by me for my magazine advert, as you can see when you look at it and existing products. 
  1. The LARGE name of the artists - this is a convention that is followed because the target audience need to know who the advert is about or theres no point in making one! It would cost to have the advert in a magazine, so its vital to make the most out of the space and not make the advert too busy. All the important information to the customer is in large and noticeable font.
  2. The Release date
  3. It features photos of the artists


  • the large title
  • release date
  • photos of the artists on the front cover
  • not too busy with alot of writing
THESE ARE CONVENTIONS ALSO SEEN IN THESE EXISTING PRODUCTS



*ALBUM*



The album I have created does follow conventions, my album includes
  • The track list featured on the album
  • The name of the artist 'Deux'
  • The name of the album its self 'Soft Notes'
  • The barcode
  • Bandwebsite
  • The record label
  • Some information on the back of the CD about copyright
  • I  have also taken inspiration from my music video! Which is creating an overall style for all of my products. The bold colours really tie it all together, I feel.



The colours are really important in my video, because I want the colours been projected onto my artists to represent different emotions that are in your head, especially because they are a couple in the video the feelings are amplified with each other. They asking each other to come home and you see them singing this whilst the colours are all going on the screen, its what they are thinking and trying to ask each other. Its like what is going on in there head, the bright pinks and reds to represent the love that they feel for each other, the pale blues are too show the sadness that they are apart from each other, because over all the song is wanting somebody to travel to be able to see them and if they are willing to. 'If you wanna try, you could come out and see me'. Using the images to try and convey a meaning to the audience is quite a postmodern take on presenting my music video to the audience. I am trying to represent one thing to them - but everyone might not get the idea and make sense of it differently to someone else watching the music video. But I like the idea that people are going to be watching the video and making up their own mind and ideas about it. One thing might really click with one viewer and not with someone else watching it - however I think it is still a video that is pleasant to watch even if you don't go too far into the meaning if you don't want too.


*GENRE*


My video is  using both non stereotypical and stereotypical aspects of the genre Indie/Rock. It does this through use of mise-en-scene, camera angles and shots length. I think it develops the genre by showing of the own unique style used in indie/alternative. The genre that is a mix that music that has a strong identity but can't always be labelled with one name - leaving it quite open to interpretation.  David Buckingham’s theory of genre  helps me to explain my point - He said “Genre is not… Simply ‘given’ by the culture: rather, it is in a constant state of negotiation and change.” As genres change over time, we end up with many sub genres or hybrid genres and this means that the two genres are working together to create  a new style.  I think indie/alternative is a good example of constant change as people having access to better technology they are able to create their own tracks and music videos - this has lead to indie/alternative slowly becoming more at the forefront of the music industry, and my choice to use a song from the genre is reflective of the constant change and expansion of genre David Buckingham can see.

No comments:

Post a Comment